Sunday, May 29, 2011

Vegetable Polenta Bake

This is really good and a good recipe to use when you have lots of leftover vegetables in your fridge that you need to get rid of.  This is also Kevin approved.  In his words that means it doesn't taste like cardboard.  He was skeptical and then proceeded to eat half of an 8x8 dish of it.

Ingredients:
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 1 large zucchini, sliced
  • 1 large yellow squash, sliced
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 cup spaghetti sauce - I used more than this but I like things saucy
  • 1 can diced tomatoes - I didn't use the whole can but I wanted some chunky tomatoness in it.  
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese - I left this out because I didn't have any
  • polenta sliced 1/2" thick

I didn't really follow the suggestions for the amount of vegetables very closely I just threw in things I had one hand.

1.  Cut up all veggies and saute them in olive oil until slight soft.  I cooked the carrots, onions, and peppers by themselves for a little and then added the squash and zucchini.  
2.  After veggies are cooked add the sauce and diced tomatoes to the skillet.
3.  Line an 8x8 pan with the polenta slices.
4.  Pour veggie sauce mixture on top of polenta and then cover with mozzarella cheese
5.  Bake for 30-40 at 350 degrees minutes until heated all the way through and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment