Saturday, October 6, 2012

Veggie bean tacos

I got this recipe from my friend Pam's blog and it is really delicious and super healthy.  It is also easy to customize to whatever veggies you have in your fridge.  This recipe makes a lot probably around 20 tortillas or maybe even more.  I froze some of the mixture.



Ingredients:
1 onion - chopped
1/2 bell pepper (whichever color you like best) - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 green squash
1/2 yellow squash
1 1/2 c shredded cabbage
1/2 c spinach - chopped
4-5 mushrooms - sliced
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 can refried beans
1/2 TBS cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c cooked rice
corn tortillas

Methods:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Saute onions, garlic, and colored pepper till slightly soft.
2. Add all of the rest of veggies, salt, and pepper,  and cook until al dente.
3. Add both kinds of beans and stir until well incorporated, add cumin to taste.  I like cumin alot so I probably added even more than 1/2 TBS.  The recipe called to also add the rice, but I didn't do this because I knew I was going to freeze some of the mixture and rice freezes weird.
4.  Place tortillas in microwave with a wet paper towel to soften them.  If they aren't softened enough they will split when you try to roll them.
5.  Place scoop a bean mixture and scoop of rice inside each tortilla and roll, place seam side down in baking dish.  Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake for 10-15 minutes until everything is heated through. I broiled them for the last few minutes to get the tortillas nice and crispy.
6.  Top with salsa, a little queso fresco, and cilantro.



No comments:

Post a Comment