Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Barley pilaf

I love barley like really love barley, I think it may be my favorite grain. It holds its texture and doesn't end up as mush.  I had a hard time finding it initially when I moved to Charlotte but have discovered an awesome healthy food store where I can buy it.  This recipe is super easy and cooks up creamy and delicious without the addition of any butter or cream. This is a great side dish or can be turned into a main dish by throwing a protein on top - I added some shrimp this evening.

Ingredients:

  • Roughly 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms - I think I may add extra next time but I love mushrooms
  • 1 clove garlic - minced
  • Roughly 2 tbsp chopped green onions (scallions)
  • 1 cup pearl barley
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/4 tsp crushed dried rosemary
  • 2 tbsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste - be careful salting initially as you will be adding the parm at the end
Methods:
1.  Saute mushrooms, garlic, and onions in a tbsp or 2 of broth until soft.
2.  Add rest of broth, barley, and rosemary. 
3. Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35-45 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the barley is soft.
4.  When finished stir in Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment