I was looking for a way to eat more veggies and I stumbled across this sandwich and I am officially obsessed with it. It is delicious especially on sourdough bread (another one of my current obsessions). This is the basic recipe but you can modify it and add whatever veggies it want. I added cooked mushrooms, onions, summer squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. All worked well. This recipe makes 2 smaller sandwiches
4 (1/2 inch thick) eggplant slices
1 red bell pepper
4 slices sourdough (or whatever you fav is)
2 TBS pesto - I just bought some at the store
1 cup spinach or arugula
soft goat cheese
1. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush both side of the eggplant with some olive oil and top with a little pepper.
2. Cut bell pepper in half and discard seeds. Place these halves skin side up on the baking sheet with the eggplant; flatten then with your hand.
3. Broil for 4 minutes and turn over eggplant. Don't turn over the pepper. Broil for 4 additional minutes and then remove eggplant.
4. Broil red pepper for 7 additional minutes or until blackened. Place pepper in a ziplock bag and seal. Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
5. Lightly toast bread. Spread pesto on one slice and goat cheese on the other. Place 2 slices of eggplant and 1 piece of bell pepper on each sandwich.
6. Toss spinach/arugula with 1 tsp olive oil and black pepper. Divide this mixture between the two sandwiches