This black bean burger is really tasty and was even approved by my manly meat eater, Kevin, so you know it must be tasty. These are good fresh but also freeze really well. So you can have your own cheaper and healthier version of frozen black bean burgers.
2 cups black beans - I like to cook my own from dried beans but a 16 ounce can of beans works too just make sure you drain and rinse the beans
1/2 green bell pepper - cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion - cut into wedges
2-3 cloves garlic - pressed
1/2 to 1 TBS chili powder
1/2 to 1 TBS cumin
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 c bread crumbs
1. Mash black beans in a medium bowl. This can be a pain in the butt, I like to use a pastry cutter but a fork works too.
2. In a food processor, finely chop the bell pepper and onion. Stir this and the pressed garlic into the mashed beans.
3. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce. Add this mixture to the mashed bean mixture.
4. Add the bread crumbs and mix well.
5. Form into patties - you can make them big or small whatever you like.
6. Grill or broil patties until browned and heated through.
To freeze: Form patties and place them on a cookie sheet. Place them in the freezer until firm, about an hour. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a ziplock bag. To cook: take it straight from the freezer and throw it on the grill or under the broil and cook till heated through.